Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Chinese take-out anyone? Hold up! You might want to try this instead!
I came up with this recipe a while ago in an attempt to copy P.F. Chang’s lettuce wraps, and ever since, it has become a family favorite. We never get sick of this meal and are always fighting for the leftovers. It’s so easy to throw together, especially during a busy week because it’s quick and doesn’t require a lot of tedious work. It’s just like Chinese take-out, but BETTER (my Mom’s words), especially because it’s healthy and homemade! So, next time you’re in the mood for Chinese take-out, try this instead!
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- About 1 & ½ cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- About 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- About 2 handfuls of shredded carrots
- 5 large scallions, sliced
- 3 large or 4-5 normal-sized garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce or soy sauce substitute (I use Bragg's Liquid Aminos, which has the most flavor. Or, I will use Coconut Aminos for a paleo alternative)
- ¾ tablespoon ground ginger
- Salt, to taste
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- First, heat a medium-sized skillet on medium-high heat with the toasted sesame oil.
- Next, once the skillet is hot, add the minced garlic, sliced scallions, diced mushrooms, bean sprouts, shredded carrots, grated ginger, and salt to taste, and sauté until the veggies are tender and slightly browned.
- Then, while the veggies are cooking, heat a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Once the large skillet is hot, add the ground turkey, soy sauce/soy sauce substitute, ground ginger, and salt to taste. Cook the meat until it is no longer pink and then drain the excess juice.
- Next, mix the cooked veggies in with the turkey meat and make sure everything is well-combined.
- Then, do a taste test to make sure there's enough seasoning. Depending on your preference, it may need more salt, ginger, or soy sauce. I love a lot of ginger, but my dad doesn't, so I have to be careful on that one.
- Finally, once everything tastes good according to your preference, spoon the turkey mixture into the romaine lettuce leaves and serve!