Paleo Crockpot Trail Mix
Okay, lately I’ve had such the MUNCHIES! I don’t know what it is! Maybe my body is finally starting to do its job, but I honestly feel like I could eat all day long! While eating all day long wouldn’t necessarily be the best thing for everyone, I love it because it’s definitely helping me start to put on weight, so yay!
This week’s recipe was inspired by my munchies and has been my go-to snack for whenever they kick in. It uses one of my food favorite combinations–nuts, bananas, and chocolate–and is great for keeping me energized throughout the day. It also satisfies my late-night snacking needs.
I also love this snack because it’s filled with healthy protein and fat, two nutrients that are essential to keeping your brain and body functioning at optimal levels. Plus, the antioxidants in the dark chocolate (optional in the recipe, but a must in my opinion) give it that extra little boost to help destroy free radicals in the body that accumulate from harmful toxins and chemicals in the environment that we’re exposed to on a daily basis. That’s why I like to call it my super snack! It brings on the good nutrients and fights off the bad…. SUPER SNACK TO THE RESCUE!
Check out the recipe below!
- 2 cups walnuts, raw
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 1 cup almonds, raw
- 1 cup coconut chips
- A heaping ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring (not extract!)
- A sprinkling of sea salt
- 2 cups dried bananas/banana chips (without added sugar!)
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips/chunks (optional, but a must in my opinion)
- First, place the nuts, coconut chips, coconut sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and sea salt in the crockpot. Next, mix the ingredients together, cover the crockpot with the lid, and turn it on high for 45-60 minutes. Stir the mixture frequently while it's cooking to make sure the coconut chips don't burn.
- Then, after 45-60 minutes, turn the heat down to low and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Next, remove the mixture from the crockpot and spread it out onto a large sheet of parchment paper to cool.
- Finally, once the mixture has cooled, mix in the banana chips and dark chocolate (if using).
Looking for more delicious snacks? Have you tried Thunderbird Bars before?