Immune-Boosting Digestive Tonic
Every year around January or February, my body starts to take a hit from this cold weather (I’m more of a summer person). Sometimes our bodies need a little pick me up to make it through the rest of the winter.
To ramp up my energy, immune system, and digestion, I created this immune-boosting digestive tonic that helps keep me going. It’s a great remedy to use for nausea, bloating, and indigestion.
When Do I Drink It?
I like to sip on it throughout the day, but I especially make sure to have a few sips in the morning on an empty stomach and after each meal.
Depending on your tastebuds, you may want to make some adjustments. Do you like a lot of spice? Add some more ginger or cayenne pepper? Sensitive to spice? Add a little less. Do you have a sweet tooth like me? Add a little more stevia or raw honey. You can play around with the recipe and find the measurements that work for you. The one below is my favorite, so give it a try and let me know what you think! Cheers!
- 4-6 ounces freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice (I use about one large lemon and 1 & ½ large limes)
- About 10 ounces water (you can use less or add more depending on how tart you like it)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon stevia or raw, local honey (I use Kallas Raw Honey)
- 2-3 pinches cayenne pepper (depending on how much spice you can tolerate)
- Squeeze your fresh lemon and lime juice into a shaker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and shake well.
- Strain the drink into a jar to get rid of any lemon seeds and the freshly grated ginger for a nice smooth drink. Cover and shake again.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Shake each time before drinking to make sure you get all that good spice. Enjoy!
Looking for more cold and flu cures? Try my Homemade On Guard Lozenges!
Also, check out the Benefits of Raw Honey from Dr. Axe!