Homemade Thieves Lozenges
Have you ever gotten a bad cold or strep (streptococcus) and literally felt like trying to put Vaseline down your throat because you just needed something to coat it so that it wouldn’t feel so scratchy and painful? No? Okay, maybe I’m just weird and am the only one who’s thought of doing that, but we all know how awful a sore throat can be. Believe me, I was just there last week… Do you know what made it so much better though?! My Homemade Thieves Lozenges! Made from four simple ingredients, these lozenges are so easy to whip up and are ready in minutes.
Not only do these magical little lozenges coat your throat like butter, they also fight infection and give your immune system a boost!
Healing Powers of Essential Oils, Raw Honey, and Coconut Oil
For these lozenges, I use two of my favorite essential oils–thieves and lemon. Thieves essential oil blend is a powerful, all natural antiviral and antiseptic made from cloves, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus radiata, and rosemary. It’s a great oil for fighting off infections and stimulating the immune system (read more about some great essential oils and their uses). Lemon is also a great purifier, detoxing the body of harmful chemicals and germs and promoting healing and health (learn more about lemon essential oil).
The base for my lozenges also has some great anti-infective, healing benefits! Both coconut oil and raw honey support the immune system and contain anti-inflammatory properties that make them perfect for keeping the immune system functioning at optimal levels and for healing the body naturally. They’re also great for allergies!. So say goodbye to those gross menthol, sugar-loaded cough drops and say hello to these powerful, all natural, and great-tasting lozenges that will have you feeling better in no time!
- ¼ cup coconut oil, solid
- ¼ cup raw honey (the thicker the better!)
- 5-6 drops thieves essential oil
- 5-6 drops lemon essential oil
- First, line a medium-sized baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, mix the coconut oil and raw honey together in a small mixing bowl until they are well-combined.
- Then, add the essential oils to the coconut/honey mixture. Incorporate them well and adjust the amount according to your taste preference. I like mine with lots of lemon and not too spicy, so 5-6 drops of each seems to work pretty well for me.
- If your raw honey is bit more liquidy or you add a lot of essential oil drops, you may need to refrigerate your mixture before forming the lozenges. That way, the lozenges won't flatten out and are easier to work with.
- Next, once the mixture tastes good and has a nice consistency, place small droplets the size of a lozenge (about ½ to 1 teaspoon) onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Then, place the baking sheet with the lozenges in the freezer until they are firm. It shouldn't take that long, but the longer they're in there, the more they will firm up, at least to a certain point.
- Finally, once the lozenges are firm, you can transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the freezer.