I don’t know if it’s the warmer weather, but for some reason I’ve really been in the mood for shakes, smoothies, and ice cream lately. It must be getting to be that time of the year where my body craves everything and anything cold. Or, maybe my body is just in need of some extra nutrients. Smoothies, shakes, and even ice cream (made with the right ingredients) are great ways to provide the body with extra nutrition because they’re nutrient-dense and easily absorbed by the body.
What I Love About This Milkshake
I absolutely LOVE this Almond-Coconut Milkshake because it has a smooth, creamy texture, is naturally sweetened with dates, and provides me with a great energy boost for my day. Plus, it lasts for about a week in the fridge, so I can just sip on it throughout the week whenever I’m craving something cold and creamy.
It contains some of my favorite foods that are healing, energizing, and like I mentioned before, easily absorbed into the body. Among many other things, dates are a great natural source of energy, help relieve constipation, and have anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, they make smoothies sweet and super creamy! This shake also uses full-fat coconut milk, which provides essential MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides) for proper brain function in addition to much more (read more about why I love coconut). Plus, the Great Lakes Collagen powder that I like to throw in all my smoothies and shakes has healing properties for the whole body, especially the digestive tract (read more about why I use collagen).
So Much Better Than a Regular Milkshake
Sweet, creamy, nutty, and paleo-friendly, your body will be craving this shake over any sugar-filled shake out there. Give it a try and let me know what you think! 🙂
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 5-6 large medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla flavoring
- Seeds scraped from ½ vanilla bean
- 1-2 tablespoons Great Lakes Collagen powder (optional, but highly recommended)
- 2 cups ice
- First, place all the ingredients, except the ice and collagen in a high-speed blender. Blend the ingredients together on high speed until the mixture is smooth.
- Then, turn the blender to a low speed and add the collagen. Continue to blend the mixture until the collagen is blended in well.
- Next, turn the blender off and add the ice. Then, blend the ice into the mixture on high speed until the shake is smooth.
- Serve right away or store in the refrigerator up to a week.